TITLE: Food and Nutritional Services Site Assistant
SITE: San Jose Middle School
SALARY: Range 15 – Classified Salary Schedule, $13.90 - $16.66
CALENDAR: 3.75 hours per day, 5 days per week, 10 months
POSTING DATE: February 12, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 16, 2018
The job of Food and Nutritional Services Site Assistant is for the purpose/s of assisting with the cooking and preparation of all food and non-food items; verifying quantities and specifications of orders; assisting with food preparation, maintaining facilities in a sanitary condition; assisting with monitoring equipment and supply requirements; utilizing the Point of Sale System to record student purchases and report daily receipts.
- Assists with student workers/volunteers for the purpose of guiding them in performing their functions in a safe and efficient manner.
- Operates Point of Sale system to record student purchases and report daily receipts.
- Assists with inventories of food and non-food supplies for the purpose of ensuring availability of items.
- Assists with the organization of food items stored in the freezer, cooler and dry storage area.
- Assists with providing Site Manager with information for food and supplies orders from the Central Kitchen, Central Warehouse, and other selected vendors for the purpose of ensuring the availability of required food items.
- Assists with the preparation, cooking and serving of food and beverage items for the purpose of meeting mandated nutritional and health requirements.
- Cooks food, prepared and/or from scratch, for the purpose of meeting mandated nutritional requirements and/or projected meal requirements.
- Tests prepared food for flavor, appearance and temperature for the purpose of ensuring acceptance of items by students, staff, etc.
- Inspects food items and/or supplies for the purpose of verifying quantity and specifications of orders and/or complying with mandated health requirements.
- Cleans utensils, equipment, and the storage, food preparation and serving areas for the purpose of maintaining sanitary conditions.
- Monitors equipment operations and functions for the purpose of maintaining equipment in safe working order.
- Reports equipment malfunctions for the purpose of maintaining equipment in safe working order.
- Assists with loading and unloading food items, supplies and/or equipment.
- Performs functions as required of another position within area of responsibility for the purpose of providing overall coverage of food service operations.
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Remain on feet for 95% of required shift.
- Attends meetings of employees, student groups, community representative, etc. for the purpose of obtaining and/or providing information and discussing and/or resolving problems.
JOB REQUIREMENTS:-MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- To perform multiple non-technical tasks with an occasional need to upgrade skills due to changing job conditions
- Adhering to safety practices
- Preparing and maintaining accurate records
- Utilizing equipment used in profession
- To perform basic math including calculations of fractions, percents and/or ratios
- Read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats and/or present information before groups
- Understand complex multiple step instructions
- child nutrition
- quantity cooking
- health standards and hazards
- safety practices and procedures
- To schedule activities
- Gather, collate and/or classify data
- Coordinate a number of factors in the use of equipment
- To work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups
- Work with data of different types and/or purposes
- Utilize job related equipment
- working as part of a team
- communicating with diverse groups
- setting priorities
- working with children
Flexibility is required to work with others under a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing defined by different processes; and use equipment for a variety of purposes under different conditions that requires an understanding of various methods of operation.
In working with others, problem solving is required to analyze issues, create plans of action and reach solutions; with data it is moderate; and with equipment it is moderate.
- Working under limited supervision
- Focusing primarily on results
- Directing other persons within a small work unit
- Operating within a defined budget and/or financial guidelines
- Driving a district vehicle for the purpose of transporting food and non-food products to the assigned satellite locations
- Utilization of resources from other work units may be required to perform the job’s functions
- There is a continual opportunity to significantly impact the organization’s services
- Occasional lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling
- Some climbing and balancing
- Significant stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling
- Significant reaching, and handling
Requires driving a district vehicle for the purpose of transporting food and non-food products to the assigned satellite locations. Generally the job requires 10% sitting, 90% standing. Lifts, pushes, pulls food preparation equipment, appliances and food trays/boxes up to 45 pounds. The job is performed under some temperature extremes, some hazardous conditions (e.g. mechanical, cuts, burns, infectious disease, high decibel noise, etc.) and in varying atmospheric conditions.
Certificates & Clearances: TB Test, DOJ Fingerprint Clearance, Current California Driver’s License
Posting Date: February 12, 2018
Application Deadline: February 16, 2018
TO APPLY: Current employees who are interested in this position, must submit a written “Intent to Apply – Current Employees” form to Human Resources (NUSD/CSEA, Article 14.2) prior to the closing date. This position is first open to all Novato Unified School District employees but first offered to lateral transfers. If you meet the requirements for this position, you will be contacted after the closing date for an interview. If you have any questions, call Human Resources (415-897-4220). External applicants must complete a “Classified Application-External Applicants” and submit it to Human Resources. Applications are available at the District Office, 1015 Seventh Street, Novato CA 94945, or online at www.nusd.org