TITLE: Bus Driver
CALENDAR: 6 hours per day, 5 days per week, 10 months
SALARY: Range 29 - Classified Salary Schedule
POSTED: January 16, 2018
Application Deadline: Until filled
The job of Bus Driver is done for the purpose/s of safely transporting students over scheduled routes and/or to/from special excursions; ensuring vehicle operation is in a safe operating condition; ensuring safety of students during transport, loading and unloading from buses and to do related work as required.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Advises students, special education students and other passengers of behavior requirements for the purpose of enforcing rules and regulations and maintaining safety.
- Assists students and other passengers (e.g. car seats, seat belts, wheelchair straps, harness, etc.) for the purpose of providing safe ingress and egress from buses including both emergency situations (including bus evacuations) and normal transport.
- Attends meeting, training, etc. for the purpose of maintaining skills, receiving and/or conveying information, and meeting requirements of school bus driver certificate.
- Cleans assigned bus (e.g. sweeps floor, trash, windows inside, seats, general interior, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining appearance, sanitation and safety of vehicle.
- Drives schools’ busses (type 1 and/or 2) for the purpose of transporting students and/or special education students over scheduled routes and to/from school and/or field trips in a safe and timely manner.
- Inspects assigned vehicles (e.g. all operating systems and equipment, brakes, fuel and oil gauge levels, tire pressure, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, windows, locks, doors, buzzers, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring tht the vehicle is in a safe operating condition and meeting state requirements.
- Instructs bus drivers for the purpose of providing behind the wheel training and addressing school bus regulations/safety procedures.
- Prepares documentation (e.g. incident reports, safety checks, student count, mileage, etc.)
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- a valid Class B California driver’s license
- a valid California Special Driver Certificate
- a valid medical examiner’s certificate
- School Bus Drivers and Motor Carriers Handbook
- California Motor Vehicles Code
- Education Code applicable to the operation of vehicles in transporting school children
- Operate a school bus exercising good judgment and safety precautions
- Maintain order among students on a school bus
- Learn designated bus routes, bus stops, and district traffic hazards
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Read and write at the level required for successful job performance
Driving record must not prevent insurability by District’s carrier.
Must be able to pass pre-employment physical examination if requested.
Clearances: Criminal Justice fingerprint clearance, TB Clearance
Date Posted: January 16, 2018
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
TO APPLY: Current employees who are interested in this position, must submit a written “Notice of Intent to Apply for Open Position” form to Human Resources (NUSD/CSEA, Article 14.2) prior to the closing date. This position is first open to all Novato Unified School District employees but first offered to lateral transfers. If you meet the requirements for this position, you will be contacted after the closing date for an interview. Call Human Resources (415-897-4220) if you have any questions. External applicants must complete a Classified Application, which is available at the District Office, 1015 Seventh Street, Novato CA 94945, or online at www.nusd.org and submit it to Human Resources.