Novato Unified School District (NUSD) is proud of our award‐winning schools that focus on providing an innovative and effective education to meet individual student needs. Our excellent teachers and staff are committed to ensuring all students possess the academic and technical knowledge required to succeed in college and future careers.
Since 1992, voter‐approved local funding has been crucial to maintaining high‐quality academic programs and retaining highly qualified teachers for our students. However, our schools’ needs currently exceed the resources available. The District has already taken measures to increase efficiency and reduce costs, including $1.6 million in cuts to administration, contracted services and non‐ instructional programs. If the District’s current source of local funding were to expire, we would have to make an additional $4.1 million in cuts that could include reducing academic programs, library programs and laying off teachers.
On December 3, 2019, the NUSD Board of Education unanimously voted to place Measure A, a parcel tax renewal measure, on the March 2020 ballot. If passed, Measure A will add $125 to the current $251 per parcel rate and would include annual inflation adjustments, raising $6 million annually for 8 years. Measure A would renew funding to:
● Attract and retain highly qualified teachers
● Protect the quality of academic instruction in core subjects like math, science, reading and writing
● Protect music, art and athletic programs that provide a well-rounded education for our kids
● Expand mental health counseling services to support students that are struggling
● Provide career and technical training to prepare students for the 21st-century job market
● Minimize increases to class sizes
● All funds from Measure A would benefit local elementary, middle, and high schools, and could not be taken away by the state
● No money from Measure A can be used for administrator salaries
● Measure A would require independent citizen oversight, annual audits, and reports to the community to ensure the District uses funds as promised
● Senior citizens would continue to be exempt from paying parcel taxes
For more information on Measure A, please view the following links:
Information Flyer: CLICK HERE FOR FLYER
Spanish Information Flyer: Haga clic aquí para ver el volante.
FAQ: CLICK HERE