Since 1992, local voters in Novato have generously supported a parcel tax that has provided stable, local funding to maintain quality education at our local schools. In 1997, 2005, 2009, and 2014, local voters overwhelmingly voted to continue this measure. NUSD’s Parcel Tax provides $4.15 million per year in stable, local funding and has helped our schools weather fluctuations in the economy and in state funding.
All Parcel Tax funds stay in Novato schools under local control. Nothing can be taken by the State, and no funds can be used for administrative salaries. The purpose of the Parcel Tax is to fund the following specific types of programs and services.
- Attract and retain high-quality teachers and school employees
- Avoid significant increases in class size in all grades
- Keep secondary school counselors
- Maintain athletic programs, including funding all athletic coaches, equipment safety refurbishment, and officials fees
- Maintain music and performing arts programs for 1st through 12th grades, providing a well-rounded education for Novato kids
- Provide library support, including all site library techs, software, and library programs in the district
Where do your parcel tax dollars go?
- The current parcel tax is $251, and has not increased since 2009
- In 2017-18, your parcel tax dollars funded 43.5 full-time employees and 88 athletic coaching positions
- Revenue has decreased by $325,000 over the last 10 years due to increased senior exemptions